Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Beginning

I have fished my entire life. I was raised in South Louisiana and grew up fishing the rivers on the North Shore of Lake Pontchartrain. My grandmother Evelyn Baham lived in Folsom, LA and had several farm ponds that I loved fishing in. I spent many weekends with her and she would always take me to her ponds even when she was tired, probably because I bugged the mess out of her. The same goes for my Dad and Mom, I aggravated them day and night to let me go fishing, buy me this lure, book, reel, video, it was never ending. I am indebted to them for ever for spending time they didn't have to so I could get my fix.

It was hard to get me to come in once I was out there fishing, no matter how long I had been out there. My parents had no problem letting me indulge since after all there are much worse things to be addicted to than fishing- so they thought. I had a Bassmaster membership at probably 8 years old and have amassed an impressive collection of information that I love to read. Once college came along my passion never died but it was put on hold while I went through my rights of passage. After school I got a job in Birmingham, AL and moved out of Louisiana for the first time at age 23. I worked very hard and have moved up through the ranks by always doing the very best I could and taking care of my customers and my employees. After 5 years of climbing the ladder, by chance my parents bought a house in Nashville, TN on the banks of Old Hickory Lake. I would spend endless hours fishing at the marina and it struck me like lightning. Why did I only go fishing when I went back to Louisiana? I live in Birmingham, which is considered by some as the Bass capital of the world. I loved to fish, it was my favorite thing in the world to do, yet I was spending less and less time doing it all the while living at the epicenter of bass culture. I started reading again, surfing bass club web sites, cleaning my gear, getting new gear, going to local lakes and fishing Old hickory.

I had been reinfected with the fever but where do go from here? I had never fished tournaments and didn't even have a boat to use in Birmingham. I sat down with my wonderful wife Kelly and had a talk about my passion and told her I wanted to start fishing again and that I wanted to dive head first into it. I wanted to invest a lot of time and become a better angler. She told me to go for it and she was behind me. I don't think she would have been so receptive if she would have know what I thought "go for it" meant.


Amberjack that I thought was going to pull me over board.


My Dad and I pretending to know how to fly fish in Colorado. Before I left this trip I did catch a nice Rainbow which until them I wasn't sure if they really existed.


The fam


My grandmother

No comments:

Post a Comment